We have 13 guests and no members online
The School of Medicine at the Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS), dates back to 1963, when the government of the newly independent Tanganyika started its predecessor, the Dar es Salaam School of Medicine to train licensed non-degree medical practitioners, starting with an intake of eight students. In 1968 the School was upgraded to a Faculty of Medicine (FOM) of the Dar es Salaam University College; a constituent College of the University of East Africa (UEA). With upgrading of the Dar es Salaam University College to the University of Dar es Salaam in 1970, the Faculty of Medicine (FOM) soon initiated its first degree, the Doctor of Medicine (MD) programme.
A major milestone year for the Faculty of Medicine in 1977 was its administrative incorporation with the Muhimbili Hospital to form the Muhimbili Medical Centre (MMC), allowing synergistic access to clinical environments for teaching with staffs contributing to service delivery. In 1991 the Faculty of Medicine was upgraded to become the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences (MUCHS), a constituent College of the University of Dar es Salaam a process that upgraded its Departments of Pharmacy and Dentistry to Faculties. Subsequent disestablishment of the MMC by parliament in 2000, and creation of two closely linked but legally autonomous public institutions; namely MUCHS and the Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH), showed support for the growth of MUCHS. Government support also allowed for realization of plans to upgrade MUCHS to a fully-fledged university, when in 2007 by Article 1 of the Charter of Incorporation, in line with the recommendations of the Tanzania Commission of Universities (TCU), the Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences was established the Faculty of Medicine became one of its five Schools.
Planning for development of academic agenda’s in the School was informed by a University of Dar es Salaam wide transformation process, and more recently, discussions with stakeholders and tracer study findings, ensuring responsiveness of programmes to national and regional needs. Tremendous changes have occurred in student enrolment to the MD programme that had stagnated at 50 but reached 200 by the year 2000. Changes have also occurred in the scope of both undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in response to needs. After establishing the MD programme the then Faculty of Medicine introduced postgraduate Master of Medicine (M.Med.) programmes, in the four major disciplines of internal medicine, pediatrics and child health, obstetrics and gynecology and surgery. Subsequent increases in types of specialty M.Med. programmes is ongoing, as are postgraduate Master of Science (M.Sc.) programmes in the biomedical sciences (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, clinical pharmacology and microbiology immunology) and super specialty Masters of Science programmes in the clinical medical sciences. Newly introduced postgraduate programmes reaching a total of thirteen by 2007 and thirty by 2012, were also accompanied with increase from a single undergraduate MD Programme, expanding to include seven new undergraduate programmes by 2012. From 2000-2010, a School-wide activity transformed all academic programmes from a term to a semester system, then a semester and modularized system. All curricula were developed to become competency-based (CB). These CB curricula are in various stages of implementation across undergraduate and post-graduate programmes.
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
P.O. Box 65001
Dar es Salaam
Tel: Direct: +255-22-2151680, Tel: +255 22 2150302-6 (Ext. 1008 Dean, 1276 OMS)